Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Saturday, September 8, 2012

HALF WAY TRHOUGH!!

So...I have been riding for 4 days now and have riden 219 miles...at this rate I would have a total of about 438 miles...out of 500.  I have fallen behind in my blog due to lack of access to internet, so don't kmow if I will be able to accurately document my travels. 

The ride from Kittery to Freeport was a long one, 69 miles, but I rode it in about 5 hours and 40 minutes.  It was a mostly flat ride and not very scenic, actually.  I was so happy to be riding that day because it had looked like it would be raining for a lot of the day, and I made it without much rain at all!

So, I have realized that the internet is not cooperating again, still, at this location...photos take a very long time to upload, so I may not add as many as I would like at this time.  The above photo is our first night's campground in Freeport.  Very comfortable and wooded...next to the lake.  There was a lot of wildlife around there; the campground was connected to a Farm that had lambs...I think different than sheep?  There was a section of it that had community gardens...which was cool.  At our tent site there was a chipmunk that ran around the picnic table and on it and he was very cute.  Stephen saw a bird of some kind down by the water and he startled it when he came upon it.  We were sitting on the rocks looking at the water and out in the distance I saw something come to the surface...it was a seal!!  The fish were jumping like crazy and we even saw one that was swimming along the surface of the water...kind of like a shark; we could see his tail fin and dorsal fins sticking out of the water as it swam.

 





I did not sleep very well that night; it was due to a combination of things.  I was excited that I rode to far on the first day, anxious about what the next day would hold and slightly uncomfortable sleeping in the tent.  I realized by the next night that it was helpful for me to close the flap on the 'door' so that my face wasn't right next to the outdoors and the dirt and whatever lurks out there.  Yes, I am a little bit of a sissy while camping...but I did it!  I did not sleep great that night but we were awake relatively early and on the rode about 7:15! 

We headed for Camden, where we had another speaking event, and decided that I would ride as far as I could by noon, then we would have to stop and check in at the next site and get ready and get to the library.  I rode 55 miles out of 67 that day...I was a little disappointed in that.  One thing was that there were more hills that day, plus my chain and gears did not seem to be shifting great, so I did not use the lower gears so I really had to push myself getting up some of those hills!  The scenery was much more appealing, thankfully, and we were not on as many main roads.  Stephen was getting a little excited because he was seeing more wildlife...he saw some deer in the field and some turkeys in another field!  We are still waiting for the Big Moose!!!


I rode across this really scary bridge...I think I posted it on facebook but it was like the singing bridge back home...it was kind of long and really bumpy...grated!  So we both took pictures of it; Stephen took one of me taking a picture of it.  Stephen has taken a couple of pictures of me riding up hills toward the car!  So...Stephen and I were just talking and trying to remember what day was what!!  We have all these fabulous pictures and cannot remember what we saw on which day!!!  The pictures above were taken on the second day of riding...from Freeport to Camden...

So, I have spent about 2 hours now...adding these pictures and typing these very few paragraphs, and Blogger keeps freezing, so I must stop for now!  If anyone has any suggestions for using Blogger, I would love to hear them...I would love to be able to update this more and share more via the Blog...I will now try Facebook and see if that works any better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment