Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Saturday, June 11, 2011

36 miles

Rode my biggest training day yet!! I rode up to Hadley and had lunch with my mother then met a friend from the area who also travels to Malawi and has just returned. My ride was 18 miles each way and it all felt great! I rode on the Northampton bike path for some of the route...it was much cooler there! The ride home was cooler, because it was later. That had not been my original plan to leave that late, but it worked out well anyway.

My friend brought back some items for us to use to sell at craft fairs; fabric to make bags, some jewelry items and some wonderful paintings! She told me her stories of the trip, and new experiences of traveling in Malawi. We talked about the political climate there and what it's like learning about a different culture. We can always talk and talk about Malawi and our experiences both being there and then the experience upon return; it seeems not matter how many times I go, I come home having to readjust. She talked about wanting to return and do some other work and spend some time learning a little more aobut the culture. I always want to go back to Malawi, and I have it in my sights to save up and maybe she and I can travel together next time!!!

Off to school today; it's raining, and so I won't miss out on any riding today! My legs need to rest a little anyway. Plus, my bike needs a little cleaning and tuning up before I ride next!

No comments:

Post a Comment