Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 4....halfway there!



So, we woke up about 6:00, got our stuff together, had a little coffee and bagel, and got out early. I started riding just about 7:30! About 3 miles into the ride, Stephen turned around and came back to tell me that the bridge was out up ahead, but there were detour signs to get us to the street we were trying to get to. We got there...it felt like a great big circle (or square) of 5 miles that we had to ride to get back on track! During this detour, Stephen saw a deer (which I didn't get to see), but I got to see these awesome tractors! I stopped to take their picture...we were in a lot of remote areas and farm land and fields and it was very peaceful and pretty! So I took these pictures!




The GPS I got for the bike brought me around some really nice back roads. I rode 57 miles today, and because there were a lot of turns, I think that it made the time and the miles go by quickly! I was paying attention to the next 2 miles, or 1.2 miles and before I knew it I had gone 20 miles! I felt pretty good by then, and then I was at 30 miles...decided to stop for a good snack:
I felt pretty good here, and kept riding. We had originally scheduled to ride 50 miles, and we reached that point at 12:06!! It was very exciting and impressive, if I do say so myself!
oh! A very exciting thing I saw, crazy as it might seem, was a hawk swoop down and get a mouse! At first, I wasnt' sure what I had seen...I thought a brach had fallen off a tree. But then as I rode up to where the hawk was he hopped up onto a fence post with a mouse squirming in its beak!! It was kinda cool, then I felt a little bad for the mouse! It really was kind of small, and I wondered how many of those the hawk might need to eat in a day!
So, at 50 miles, we plugged in hotels in the area, and Stephen went and got us a room reservation, so when I hit 57 miles he picked me up and we went and got lunch!!
Going to try to get some rest tonight because I am anticipating the next couple of days being a little difficult heading into New Hampshire!! Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment