Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Friday, September 9, 2011

ON THE ROAD AGAIN...FROM NH TO VT!!



So, the rain lasted a little longer than we thought it would...but that's ok - we worked it out!! Stephen and I got up at 4:15 a.m. this morning and got ready to continue (pretty much) where we left off. We started a little further along in New Hampshire than where we left off, but it was still two and a half hours from home! We took this picture on the way up...I hadn't yet started riding, but I don't think we got a picture on Tuesday when we entered New Hampshire the first time! On our way we drove through Northfield, MA and we saw two fawn(s) romping in someone's front yard! We thought they were dogs at first, but as we got closer realized they were just babies!! Very, very cute and playful!!



So, I started riding at 8:30 this morning! We started in Newport, NH and the first 2 and 1/2 miles I thought I was going to die! I was scheduled to ride 47 miles, and I hit a lot of steep hills right away and I was very nervous for the rest of the day. As the ride continued, the roads evened out some and it became a really beautiful ride. The difficult thing is, that when I'm riding, I see all kinds of scenery that I would love to photograph, but if I stop to do that I'll never reach my destination!! The GPS lost the road a little ways into the ride, so we had to stop a few times to check in with each other and coordinate the ride. The GPS really is great, when it works!! And actually, if I were by myself I would do things a little differently than this; Stephen and I have tried to stay together, so we have to make sure we are following the same route...


So, again, we entered Vermont without any notice or signage at all!! I was upset, because I love the photos! I do plan to get a picture tomorrow on the way OUT of Vermont...I'll cross the street and get the Welcome to Vermont picture that way...if there is a sign, that is!!


I have two more days of riding before completing this year's challenge to myself. I have been very grateful for the donations people have sent to support Educate Malawi and this event. I have learned a lot about myself and about this type of fundraiser. I would love to do another one next year and would love to have others join me (us) doing this!! It has been really beautiful and fun!! I am continuing to accept donations for this event: donations can be made on the website: http://www.educate-malawi.org/ or by sending a check made payable to Educate Malawi, Inc. at 86 Connecticut Avenue West Springfield, MA 01089.



I just want to say this last thought; it's one that has been with me since very early in this ride, and being September 9th, close to an important American 'memorial' day, I want to add a thought about America. I am doing this ride to raise money for another country, one that is significantly less well-off than we are here in America. I saw that first-hand on my first trip and was moved to start this organization. I have questioned myself and been questioned by others about giving money and raising money for another country. It is a difficult thing to explain and to even understand. An answer became clear to me this week and that is how I am proud to be an American, am grateful for all the opportunities we have here and our ability to help others. That is what I love about our country; I also believe that it is not who you help it's just that you do.


More tomorrow...I think the first 10 miles will be much like my last 10; hilly and difficult...but rewarding when I've done it! We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment