Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rhode Island back to MA...east side

It was a beautiful morning to ride...cool, flat roads, light traffic. About 10 miles into the ride, I came to the Mt. Hope bridge. Stephen had seen it first and offered to drive me if I didn't feel comfortable going over it, it was rather big!!! I got the the entrance and saw a sign the said 'Share the Road' with a picture of a car and a bicycle. I took that as my sign and continued on...all the way up the bridge I kept thinking about that sign and hoping the cars saw it too! The bridge was tall, and the railings low and I could see the ocean in my peripheral vision and very much wanted to look and take a picture, but didn't feel like I could stop. I got to the top and it felt wonderful! I thought I might be able to take a picture from the bottom of the bridge, but realized there was no where to stop...so I stopped on the bride and took a quick picture. I was scared...this is what it looked like:So another thing that I have not yet written about that I want to mention, is just what a great support team Stephen has been. On our first day we really struggled to figure out our GPS units; they didn't match up. It was kind of uncomfortable and scary for both of us not knowing how to keep in touch...once we figured that all out, on day 2, it got much better! Now I know he is around...he passes me, waits 5-10 miles up the road depending on where we are, and then I stop and have a snack or wave and go by! It is comforting for both of us and he has been a great support! It has made the days much more enjoyable and I know all I have to worry about is riding! We rented this cute little car for peace of mind, since his car his acting up right now...we are loving this little Nissan!
Today was kind of a light, easy day. I rode 45 miles; we had reservations at a KOA in Middleboro, MA. - we made the reservation on Thursday night knowing that it was a holiday weekend and we didn't want to be left without a place to stay! It is very nice...we have a cute little cabin very similar to one we stayed in in Malawi on our first trip there in 2009. We have had a real nice, smooth day and we are hopeful for more of the same tomorrow. We will head up towards Boston way and plan to stay somewhere around Wayland, MA tomorrow.
Probably the worst part of today was just toward the end of the ride, there was a section of road that was very commercialized and the cars were driving so fast and there were a lot of lights and turns...it was a bit nerve wracking. We ended up getting me another blinky light for my back for added visibility...we both feel better about that! More tomorrow...gonna go try to rest for now!









No comments:

Post a Comment