Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Thursday, August 4, 2011

August 2 - still traveling!!

August 2, 2011

Stephen brought me to the airport on Monday afternoon; we were supposed to leave between 4 and 4:30, and left closer to 4:30. We got as far as exit 49 on I91, and I realized I did not have my camera charger; which would mean when my camera battery died, I couldn’t charge it!!
We turned around and got it and just as we started back out, the skies opened up; it rained a lot of the way to New York, then dried up some. It was some pretty crazy weather. The GPS saved us a lot…had we not had it to warn us of severe traffic ahead and re-routed us, I probably would not have made my flight!! But, we listened to it, and made it with a little time to spare. I got a bit teary leaving Stephen at the security check-point…it was a bit overwhelming and scary; it’s a BIG world!!
I made it on the plane without a hitch at security or anything; I am always concerned about the carry on luggage, but it wasn’t even a question apparently. I did have to pay for a second checked bag, which I have never had to do before and didn’t like. I didn’t have a choice, so paid the $50! I got to my seat and was on an isle and there was a woman on the opposite isle with 2 seats in between us. No one ended up sitting at any of those, and then she ended up moving somewhere so I had 4 seats all to myself!! Talk about spoiled!! I probably won’t get that lucky again, but I did enjoy it!
The flight was uneventful; I watched one good movie, and dinner was served at about 12:30, then I slept a bit; about 3 hours on and off. Then they were serving a small breakfast just before we landed!!! It went quite fast. And then time came to a stand still….I have now been in Frankfurt Germany for what feels like forever…it has only been…well, I don’t even know. My time schedule is so screwed up, I don’t know what time I got here or what time it is now!!! I guess we got here a little before noon, and it is now almost 5:30; the plane doesn’t board until 8:00!!! I had a little tour of the city and got myself a ‘frankfurter and a beer’ in Frankfurt…I can’t get enough of that; I even asked a lady to take a picture of me!! So…I saw some of the buildings and museums; I guess Franfurt is really more of a business city than a tourist city, but that’s ok, I have now been to Frankfurt!!
Well, next stop, Johannesburg for a 2 hour layover then on to Malawi; it will be tomorrow afternoon by the time I land there. I am glad the flight home isn’t this long; I will be ready to get home and would have a really hard time with that if I had to deal with it!!
More when I can!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment