Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Saturday, August 6, 2011

I DID IT!!!!







August 6, 2011


So...I finally broke down and rented a car for the long trip from Blantyre to Cape Maclear...it took about 5 hours to drive! I did not do it all by myself, I am not quite that brave. Mathew has been an extrodinary host, friend, guide and all-around perfect gentleman this whole week. I am eternally grateful for his help and support, and I'm sure Stephen feels the same, since he is not here with me!


So, my headline has to do with the fact that I Drove in Malawi!!! A car...on the right side of the car on the left side of the road!!

We started out in Blantyre at 6:30 a.m. and drove to Zomba. While in Zomba, we met with the committee at the school who consisted of the village chiefs, education officials, some teachers, children and the building committee including the contractor. I took photos of the project, which is looking amazing, and also of the committe. I showed the whole committee the video that a fourth grader made and gave to us. He participated in the pen pal program from the Sunderland Elementary School. I thought I had posted it on our website, but I just looked and it is not there. BUT HERE IT IS!!! On YouTube, check it out if you get a chance!!

'Ben's malawi movie' - it's really good!!!


http:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X1H16QkaU//


So, after that meeting, Mathew and I got in the car and set off for Cape Maclear. We had fuel, which is a big deal...Malawi has been struggling getting access to adequate amounts of fuel. At one point it was gas (petrol) that was scarce and currently it is diesel which is a problem. We have seen lines running down the street of people waiting for fuel, just on the rumor that it would be available that day. I wish I could adequately describe the experience of driving in these conditions. Well, I call them 'conditions'; what I mean is just driving her in Malawi, another country different from ours. Once I started, I just had to pay attention to staying on the left. That was not as difficult as navigating the left side of the car and road; it was difficult for me to judge the distance because usually I'm sitting on that side of the car next to the side of the road!! 2 things that were helpful to me; Mathew alerted me if I was getting close, and sometimes I knew it because I could hear the gravel or dirt when I was too close to that side.

There are people and animals walking or riding bicycles on both sides of the road, and they often swerve or jet out unexpectedly. While Stephen and I were here last year, the truck we were drving in hit a goat that ran across the road at an unfortunate time...I can still hear his little bleet as he was hit!! And while Mathew was driving the other day, the same happened with a chicken...yuck!! He kind of laughs at me, but I don't care!! I almost stopped the car a couple of times while I was driving because of the goats...fortunately there weren't any other cars around, so I was able to do that. In another circumstance I may have to make a different decision; I pray that doesn't happen. But I have to say, the goats are not the brightest and I am almost getting annoyed with them for not taking better care of themselves!! ha ha ha, I just heard that silliness!

So....we drove. And drove...the roads were paved and in pretty good condition, really. It was just a really long drive and a bit tedious. We were stopped at police checkpoints a couple of times, once while Mathew was driving and once for me. While I was stopped the policeman asked if I had a Fanta (soda) and I said no, I don't have any Fanta. I did have a Coke, but didn't want to offer it :) After we pulled away Mathew said he had wanted some money; I said he didn't ask and I had a feeling that's what he wanted. I was glad he didn't push it because I like my money to and don't like to give it away in that manner!!!

Three times during our trip, cows crossed the road in front of us and I deemed that our good luck signal; I dont' know why, it's just what I thought of! We were getting a little low on gas by the time we were approaching Cape Maclear and stopped at a couple of stations outside of the village to check and see if we could top it off. There was no gas and one stations said there my be some tomorrow...We have a 5 liter container in the trunk of the car as a back up...but I would rather not chance all that. The gas gauge does not work and there isn't a precise (sp?) km/gallon number for us to use to calculate, so we want to make sure we get back ok.

It has taken me several days to settle into the pace of Malawi again and the experience of being 'alone' here. A fortunate thing that differs this time is that we made arrangements and I have very good access to internet on this trip that is a huge difference from previos trips. I feel like it's 'cheating' in some way, and cheapening the experience of being in a third world comfort by having this luxury, but...well, I have had the other and did not want to do it again!


Thank you all for your support. Please pray for our continued safe travels!



Best,


Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment