Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Scholarships!

So, I haven't quite figured out all the ins and outs of Blogger and all this...but I had wanted this picture to be lower in the blog post...It is a poster of our current and last President's...the one of Bush is about all his...sayings, goof-ups of sayings; it was pretty funny! That was about the only thing on the walls in the dining area at the motel. I ordered an egg sandwich for breakfast, which turned out to be one 'fried' egg and 2 pieces of bread with butter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but it's just that you don't always get what you expect here...

A photo from my room last night after the electricity went out. I was prepared, as this is not an uncommon occurence, and promptly pulled out my head lamp and proceeded with my evening. It was only out for a short time, maybe an hour, but you never know how long it will be out, or when it's going to go! I was able to connect with home last night; internet connection has been good, if I haven't already said so. I bought a external internet connection device called a Dong; it looks just like a flash drive and is used exactly the same way. It has been my best friend!!

Being by myself is mostly ok, and I do talk to myself because I love to talk!! Anyone who knows me I think will agree! I have been able to share pictures and type this without being concerned about how many units are left and how long it will take for photos to upload...a little luxurious!

I want to take a moment to add, right here, on this note, that there is not much that I would consider luxurious by American standards. I was really happy that the hot pot in my room worked and I was able to make a cup of coffee in my room using the Ricoffy that I bought at the store today...those things are the best! Let's see, what else, oh! I haven't had a hot shower since I left home about 10 days ago...but I don't think I really smell too bad. What else...well, there is a t.v. in the room I am in (it's considered an executive suite because it has a bathroom in it). An employee of the motel took the remote control because I told him it didn't work. When he brought it back this afternoon, he said that the tv. is controlled by the t.v. in the bar, so whtever they are watching is what shows up on the room t.v., so my remote control unit won't work no matter what! Plus, the volume doesn't work on my t.v.,so I can see the picture, but not hear anything!

So I am happy to have the luxury of my phone and the laptop and ability to maintain contact with home...it has been helpful to hear from people who write me and comment on photos, etc. I have to say, that although I have been here 3 times before this, it has been challenging for me, so especially important to hear from friends and family. Thank you to those of you who have stayed in touch, I really appreciate it a lot!


So after breakfast, i made my way down to the college, Chancellor College. The funny story of that trip, was that I wasn't entirely sure where I was going...I was in the area, but at one intersection I wasn't sure if I should turn left or right. I turned right, then after walking a ways, I thought it didn't look like the right way, and as I passed 2 women, I heard one say quietly, 'she was just walking that way and now she is going this way...' I turned around and said, 'that's because she's lost', in a funny way...so the woman kindly told me I had been going the right way afterall!

I met with the heads of the Education department and we talked about the scholarships for the next semester, whenever that is. There is a lot of unrest in the Country right now and all areas seem to be affected in some way. I then got to meet the women who received these last 2 scholarships we awarded and we talked for a little while and I took pictures and some video to share with people back home. I think they were as excited to meet me as I was to meet them! It was a special day for me...

Well, that is all for now; I have to go finish my dinner! Will write more later!



No comments:

Post a Comment