Karen's mileage tracker

Karen's ride for Malawi

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene arrives

Well, today is the hurricane day...the day we have been watching for and waiting for all week. It is 7 a.m. and we are watching the news thinking that it may not be much longer before we don't have electricity so thought I would drop a a quick post.

I am getting ready in my mind for the ride that starts Thursday. Stephen and I feel pretty comfortable with our plan for keeping in touch and knowing where each other is during the time I am riding. Maybe today I will start laying out my clothes and gear for the ride so that I'm ready. I need to bring my bike in for one last 'check-up.

So, because I will be riding around New England and along the coast in some areas, I am a little concerned about the condition of roads and the damage that I may find along the way. I suppose it's even possible that some roads may be impassable. I know I will figure it out when I get there!
I am considering a long-ish first day and riding straight through to Mystic...it would be about 80 miles; that would be a great start! We have talked about having a few long days in the beginning, then maybe even taking a day to not ride and rest a little bit.
So, as the week goes on I may post a few more reminders and thoughts as I get ready to go! If you have not already, please consider a donation; I am riding 500 miles and raising money for a cause I believe deeply in and wishing to complete our project that we have worked hard on for 2 years now! Stay tuned!
Best,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment